Thursday 31 July 2014

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Released: May 13 2014
Pages: 240
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Add on Goodreads
Favourite Quote: “Always do what you're afraid to do.”

Goodreads Synopsis:
'A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE'


My Review
'We Were Liars' was an amazing and thought provoking novel. This is not a heartwarming book that makes you feel happy and warm inside. But it did make me question my choices and make me very appreciative of what I have. This is actually a very hard novel to review. Not because it was bad. But because you can't give a lot away due to spoilers. 

I went into this book not knowing too much about it. All I heard was that it had amazing reviews. And I'm really happy that was all I knew. The novel is sort of like a mystery. But the thing is, you don't really know what the mystery is until the end, and neither does the main character. 

I had my suspicions while reading the novel over what happened, but every time I thought of one, it sort of got proven to be false. Until the end. Everything comes out in the end. I read half the book in one sitting and that was because we kept getting closer and closer to what really happened and then everything came out.  I don't cry too much in books but this one made me.

The beginning of the novel was very confusing. I had no idea what was going on but I was still intrigued to find out what was happening. That was very different for me. Usually, if I get lost in the beginning of a book I want to move onto a new book. But that wasn't the case with this one. Yes I felt lost, but that didn't make me want to put down the book. If anything, it made me want to keep reading. If you do plan on reading the book and get completely lost in the first section of the book, keep reading. It'll be worth it.

I would highly recommend others to read this book. This is not your 'typical' YA novel. It deals with some serious issues in a different type of format than I'm used to. But just be aware. Do not find out more about the plot of the book. It will ruin it and won't be as enjoyable as it could have been. Mostly because, you don't really know the point of the novel until the end.

5 out of 5 stars

Have Bloglovin? Follow me there
 Follow on Bloglovin 

No comments:

Post a Comment