Friday 18 July 2014

REVIEW: The Elite by Kiera Cass

Title: The Elite (The Selection #2)
Author: Kiera Cass
Released: April 23 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 336
Favourite Quote: “You know that you’ve found something amazing, and you want to hold on to it forever; and every second after you have it, you fear the moment you might lose it.”
Add on Goodreads

Goodreads Synopsis:
'The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.'



My Review
The Elite, which is the second book in The Selection Trilogy, was a very quick and addictive read. I just kept wanting to read it to find out what would happen next. The storyline was very fast - something was always happening whether it be rebel attacks or a new 'assignment' for the girls. The book never failed to entertain me. However, the protagonist America Singer was so annoying at times. I feel as though this book could have been 100 times better if it weren't for her. America is very indecisive and can't make her mind up about anything. First she chooses Maxon and then she changes her mind to Aspen and then she keeps doing this throughout the whole book. Like, pick one. I get that you are not sure but you have a lovely prince there that would do anything for you (can you tell i'm Team Maxon?). And even the decisions she does make, she doesn't think them through. And its all the time. I just wanted to slap her. She only thinks about the short term effects. She does not think about how it will affect those around her and it's very annoying. I hated when she had to make a decision because I had to brace and prepare myself for the negative repercussions because of her actions.

To be honest, in the first novel, she didn't really annoy me too much. I think it was because I was just starting the series and I don't think she was going back and forth between Aspen and Maxon too much. But in this book, she annoyed me so much. It really made sense why I always heard people saying that the protagonist was annoying.

Overall, the novel was entertaining and I will be continuing on with the series. I hope she is not as annoying in the next one as she was in this one

4 out of 5 stars

Have Bloglovin? Follow me there
 Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment