Friday 29 August 2014

Lux Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux Series (Obsidian, Onyx, Opal, Origin, Opposition)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
First Book Released: May 2012
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Favourite Quote: “I don't think he meant to kiss me," I said finally.
"What? Did he slip and fall on your mouth? Those things are known to happen.”
Add on Goodreads

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

My Review 

The review below is for the whole Lux Series

Initial Thoughts: Oh my gosh. Daemon. You can be such a complete asshole but also such a good guy at the same time. This book blew my mind

The story basically follows a teenage girl named Katy. She's just moved to West Virgina with her mother, now a single parent, to have a fresh start after the death of her father. After her mother encourages her to make some new friends, she goes next door to get to know the two teenagers that live in the house. The eldest teen is Daemon. He is arrogant and pretty much pisses Katy off to her max. But after walking onto a road with oncoming traffic, Daemon freezes time which in turn 'marks' her. Until the 'mark' wears off, she must keep close to Daemon so he can protect her from the enemies of his kind. Turns out Daemon is hiding a secret of his own

The Pros: I really enjoyed the humor and pop culture references in this book. This made the story very relatable and I felt as though I really knew Katy. She was just like me. Although Daemon can be arrogant, he was hilarious due to his continuous sarcastic comments. There were times when I had to put the book down because I was laughing so much. One example in the first book was when he told Ashley to go buy a happy meal at McDonalds so that she will no longer be angry. I just couldn't stop laughing. There were lots of references to pop culture as well. For example, in the last book, there were so many Harry Potter references and there was even an Avengers reference. This helped the make the series so relatable 

I really loved the character of Katy. I loved how she wasn't one of those characters who let others walk all over her. Katy is very comfortable in her own skin and won't take crap from anyone. She puts Daemon in his place so many times that it was so funny. She was a very enjoyable character to read about. And the best thing was that she loved books as much as I do and even ran her own book blog. That was a pleasant surprise. You don't come across too many books where the main character has their own book blog and it was because of this that I found her so relatable. I loved how every Wednesday she would write a Waiting on Wednesday post. It reminded me of my blog so much and when I participate in Top Ten Tuesday

The Cons:  The beginning of the first book I found quite difficult to read and this was because of Daemon and his arrogant nature. I was so tempted at times to put the book down as he would became very annoying. I just wanted to jump in the book and slap him. He just thought he was the best person ever. However I did power through it and It was about 3/4 into the first book that I actually started to like him. We learnt more about Daemon and why he acts the way he does. I mean I love him so much now. He is now one of my favourite fictional characters 

Although I didn't particularly hate this, I know that many people will. This book as a lot of Twilight parallels to it. Although the characters are very different and how everything happens is different too, it can annoy some people. There were a few times when I thought, didn't something like this happen in Twilight? But honestly, it didn't really annoy me. Armontrout took an idea from Twilight, changed it and made it way more enjoyable. I found this happened more in the first book. But It paralleled Twilight in a good way

Would I recommend this book?  I'm not sure if this series is for everyone. But it is a very easy and fun series to read. I laughed so many times in this series and always had a smile on my face (except in the beginning when Daemon was being an asshole). If you don't mind the Twilight parallels (and as I said before it's not bad. It parallels it in a good way) then you will enjoy it. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

 

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment