Saturday 6 September 2014

Review: Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Pages: 372
Released: December 2010
Genre: Romance, Contemporary
Publisher: Dutton
Favourite Quote: “French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”
Add on Goodreads

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

My Review

Initial Thoughts: I didn’t expect to like this book as much as I did. I mean, I think I always knew I would like it, but LOVE it? Yeah, I didn't think that. I honestly would have finished this book within a day. But due to school and being in an exam period, it took me a bit longer. But all I was thinking about when I should have been studying was St Clair!

The story basically follows Anna's time in Paris after being sent there to boarding school by her father. Very angry with her dad, she reluctantly goes but ends up making a lot of new friends (and starts crushing on the most gorgeous guy in the school, who happens to have a girlfriend).

I thought this book was going to be one of those cheesy romance novels where she crushes on this guy who she can't have and then she gets upset and so on. And I guess it was sort of like that. But it was so much better.
 

The Pros: The characters. Stephanie Perkins has created such enjoyable characters to read about. This story could have easily turned into one of those boring books about a girl trying to win over a guy, but it didn’t because she made the characters relatable. I understood the characters and even when they did do something that I didn't necessarily agree with, I understood why they did it. It made sense.

I was so engaged with the characters that I just kept wanting to read about them. Especially the secondary characters. I felt as though I knew them so well, I wanted to know what they were doing when we were looking at what Anna was doing (don’t get me wrong, I wanted to know what Anna was doing but I enjoyed the secondary characters so much that I wanted to know what they were doing too). Honestly, I would read a companion novel about this whole story but from another persons perspective. It was so enjoyable.


The Cons: To be honest, nothing really. The only thing that comes to mind was that it drove me crazy seeing St Clair and Anna not admitting to each other properly their feelings for one another. But then again, that is what this whole story is about.

Would I recommend this book? Of course! Anyone who, like me, is always fangirling about fictional relationships. Then this is for you (you probably already read it then cause I’m like 100years late to the party). Or if you want something different like a quick, cute and adorable read then this is for you too 


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment