Saturday 14 June 2014

REVIEW: What Really Happened in Peru by Cassandra Clare

Author: Cassandra Clare & Sarah Rees Brennan
My Rating: 1 out of 5 stars
Pages: 65
Favourite Quote: “Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate." "I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!"
Add on Goodreads 

Goodreads Synopsis:
'Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices know that Magnus Bane is banned from Peru—and now they can find out why. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

There are good reasons Peru is off-limits to Magnus Bane. Follow Magnus’s Peruvian escapades as he drags his fellow warlocks Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss into trouble, learns several instruments (which he plays shockingly), dances (which he does shockingly), and disgraces his host nation by doing something unspeakable to the Nazca Lines.

This standalone e-only short story illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality populates the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. This story in The Bane Chronicles, What Really Happened in Peru, is written by Sarah Rees Brennan and Cassandra Clare.'


My Review
I did read this a while ago but only recently have I decided to review it. Please bare with me if I get some details wrong

I am a massive fan of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices. I mean, TID is one of my all time favourite series. And Magnus is one of my favourite characters. I love his sarcasm and his willingness to help the shadowhunters. So when I heard that Cassandra Clare was writing short stories about Magnus' life, boy was I excited. I mean, what is better than reading about Magnus' life? On the day it came out, I downloaded it onto my iPod and I started to read it.  But this book took me 5 months to finish - not because it was long or because I'm a slow reader. But because it was so boring. And to top it off, it was only like 60 pages. A very short read for sure.

The main reason why I wanted to read this book was to find out why Magnus was banned from Peru. Well, guess what. You never find out. And what made me more angry was that throughout the book it kept saying 'But that was not the reason he was banned from Peru'. The synopsis was even misleading. I did not find out why he was banned. I hate the fact that they lied to me and SPOILER: Magnus didn't even know why he was banned from Peru. Like, why write a story about it then? END SPOILER: The only thing that made me keep reading it was knowing that I would eventually find out the reason. However that wasn't the case. It would have gotten 2 stars if it ended up telling me the reason in the end.

However, that wasn't the only reason why this book irritated me so much. I found the little short stories of Magnus' time in Peru pointless. It lead to nowhere. Basically, it was just a collection of stories about Magnus in Peru. Don't get me wrong, I thought it would be great having little stories about what Magnus did in Peru. But these ones were so boring. As far as I can remember (I read this book last year) the stories didn't really connect to each other so basically I could go and read the second story before I even read the first. If you are not going to tell me 'what really happened in Peru' that lead to him being banned, I do not care for his little adventures with other characters that I do not care for.

I am very disappointed in this book and I don't think I will be continuing on with the Bane Chronicles Series. I do want to point out though that I've heard that the series does get better. I really do hope so for Magnus' sake

Have Bloglovin? Follow me there
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment